Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Just hangin' around...

Hey everyone,

Sorry (to those that care) that I've been a bit slack in recent weeks. It has been a while, so I'll give you a taste of what we've been up to.

We did a tour of Buckingham Palace in early September. It's only open for a couple of months each year, so it was great timing. They also had an exhibition of the Queen's dresses, which Fiona naturally enjoyed. I thought the Palace was excellent, and well worth the visit.

The following weekend we visited Camden Market, one of the many excellent markets around London. Camden was particularly good for a fantastic variety of food. Now, I know one or two you have commented that a lot of our things evolve around food, but: a) it's me, and b) it's Fiona, and it's really interesting - and tastes great ;-) We particularly like the Moroccan we had for lunch, which inspired us...(see below)

Btw, my work is going well. I am starting to get my head around the job and am working on a couple of really interesting projects. We've also had a couple of social things at work, including a Greek night at a local restaurant. Great food, and a good chance for me to get to know a few of my colleagues.

The last Friday in September Fiona and I went and saw Anthony and Cleopatra at the Globe. Now, you're all probably thinking that it was Fiona's idea, and that I went kicking and screaming. Well, you're wrong. It was my idea, after I did a tour of the Globe with my aunt and uncles. Anyway, we loved the show. It was really well done and the acting was superb. We had mid-range seats, which thankfully had a back to lean on (otherwise, a 3 hour show would have felt much longer!) Anyway, I would thoroughly recommend going to a show at the Globe.

We went to Portobello Rd (or Notting Hill) Market the next day. Weather wasn't the best, but the market was excellent and totally different from Camden. Interestingly enough, they were even selling NZ seafood! We gave that a miss; but we did visit the travel book shop that Hugh Grant owned in the movie, which was kind of cool.

At the beginning of October we rented a car, took Monday off work and went for a drive down to Cornwall on the South-West coast. Thanks to the kindness (yet again) of my uncle Mark, we stayed in his cottage in Port Isaac, a really cute little fishing village. It was quite a drive (5-6 hours each way) but well worth it. We really enjoyed Port Isaac, and also drive to Padstow, a slightly bigger town where Rick Stein (one of Fiona's favourite chefs) has a fish 'n' chip shop, a cafe and a restaurant. We opted for the fish and chips (some of the most expensive I've ever had) but they were well worth it. Really enjoyed that weekend, and it was just great to be near the ocean again, having not really seen it since NY 6 months ago. Thanks heaps to Mark and Gillee for the use of the cottage -just wished we could have taken more time off and stayed longer.

And that's pretty much it. Work is going well for both of us, we had Fiona's cousin Sarah stay last week which was fun. Took her to Borough market and had a really good time. I'm off for a very un-exiting work trip to Hull tomorrow, and Liverpool next week. We've got tickets to three of the four All Black games in November, and can't wait for a weekend in Paris. It'll also be really nice to have Fiona's parents here. December we're off to Vienna for a long weekend, and then after Xmas at my uncle's we've got 6 days in Morocco over New Year -can't wait!

Will try to give you an update at least once a fortnight, if not once a week from now on :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home